Russell A. Foulk, M.D. was born in Logan, Utah while his father played football for Utah State University. He has become an internationally renowned expert in the treatment of infertility. He has a strong passion for overcoming infertility and has helped several thousands of couples from around the world to achieve their dreams of having a baby. This drive has led him to establish active fertility treatment centers in four different states in order to enable all those who suffer from infertility to find an affordable and effective way to get pregnant.
He graduated magna cum laude from Brigham Young University with dual majors in microbiology and Asian studies, and dual minors in zoology and Korean. He finished at the top of his class while receiving his doctorate of medicine from the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine. During his post-graduate training in Ob/Gyn at U.C. Irvine Medical Center and his fellowship in reproductive medicine at U.C. San Francisco, he received a prestigious National Institute of Health grant, published numerous papers and presented before many national organizations. While on faculty at U.C. San Francisco, his research endeavors focused on implantation physiology, in which he shares two patents on unique immunologic proteins expressed by placental cells. He continues his research interests through multi-center investigative trials and basic research into the mechanisms of implantation and stem cells.
Dr. Foulk is an associate clinical professor at the University of Washington, Department of Ob/Gyn and at the University of Nevada, School of Medicine. He routinely teaches medical students, residents and general education courses. He has set up several IVF centers in Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Hawaii, Belgrade and Serbia. He has served for 8 years on the Board of Directors of the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society and recently served as the President of the Society.
On a regular basis, he presents at international meetings and local conferences. Nationally, he has appeared as a fertility expert on the Oprah Winfrey show twice, the Montel Williams show, the Leeza Gibbons show, Inside Edition and German national television. The British Broadcasting Company profiled Dr. Foulk's expertise in a medical program on reproductive ethics. Recently, he presented in Valencia, Spain and in Japan on the Tokyo Broadcasting Company for his work in third party reproduction. He has been quoted in the Associated Press, Reuters, Wall Street Journal and many of the nation's newspapers.
Child magazine in 2005 ranked Dr. Foulk's center in Nevada among the top six in the nation. In 2009, The Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine was ranked among the 17 "Fertility Centers of Excellence" by the Contemporary Ob/Gyn Journal.
Dr. Foulk is a founding member of StemLifeline, a stem cell research company. In 2006, he was invited to Washington D.C. by Dr. Bill Frist, the Senate Majority Leader, to brief him on embryology and stem cell research. While there, Dr. Foulk met with President George W. Bush for 1 hour in the White House Oval Office before his vote on the subject.
On a personal note, Dr. Foulk has been married for over 25 years. He and his wife have 5 children. He is active in his community and church affairs.
Russell A. Foulk, M.D.
Associate Clinical Professor
University of Nevada, School of Medicine
University of Washington, School of Medicine
Utah Fertility Center
1988 W. 930 N. Suite B
Pleasant Grove, Utah 84062
University of California, San Francisco 1994-96
Reproductive Endocrinology Center
San Francisco, California
Board Certified, Reproductive Endocrinology
University of California, Irvine 1990-94
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Board Certified, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical School University of California, San Diego 1986-90 School of Medicine La Jolla, California Degree: Doctor of Medicine
- Undergraduate Brigham Young University 1980-86 Dual Majors: Microbiology, Asian Studies Dual Minors: Korean, Zoology Degree: Bachelor of Science
- High School South Tahoe High 1976-80 South Lake Tahoe, California
- California 1991
- Nevada 1996
- Idaho 1998
- Hawaii 2003
- Utah 2006
- Clinical Associate Professor
Dept of Obstetrics/Gynecology
University of Nevada, School of Medicine
- Clinical Associate Professor
Dept of Obstetrics/Gynecology
University of Washington, School of Medicine
- Clinical Instructor, 7/94-6/96
Dept of Reproductive Medicine
University of California-San Francisco, School of Medicine
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Nevada Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Washoe County Medical Society
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, President 2007-2008
- Fellow of American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Magna cum laude graduate
- Dean's list each quarter, 1984-86
- Medical School
- National Institute of Health student research grant - 1987
- Honors achieved in every major preclinical discipline
- Honors or near-honors in every clinical rotation
- National board scores - 99th percentile
- A. Baird Hastings Society (i.e., junior AOA)
- Rated best resident teacher - 1992
- National CREOG scores: 92 - 98% PGY I - IV
- ACOG Resident Reporter - Wyeth - May 1993
- Diplomate - American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology - 1997
- Diplomate -Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility - 2000
- Best paper award presented at PCRS annual meeting - 2002
- Medical Director, Utah Fertility Center, 2009-present
- Medical Director, Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine, 1998-2007
- Medical Director, Nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine, 1999-current
- Appeared on Oprah Winfrey show, Montel Williams, Leeza, 2002
- Quoted in Wall Street Journal, Associated Press, Reuters, SF Chronicle, etc.
- International appearances, ABC, CBS, NBC, Inside Edition, BBC, Tokyo broadcasting, German national TV
- NCRM rated in top six fertility centers in USA, Child Magazine 8/05
- Invited to meet with Bill Frist, MD, Senate Majority Leader, 3/06
- Invited to meet with President George W. Bush, oval office, 3/06
- Board member, Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, 2002-2006
- Elected President, Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, 2007-2008
- Volunteer - Special Olympics, 1984-86
- County Crisis Line and Hospital Auxiliary, 1984-86
- Cubmaster, 1991-96
- Church volunteer services 1984 - present
BOOKS - Chapter
- Amiel D, Foulk RA, Harwood FL, Akeson WH: “Quantitative Assessment by Competitive ELISA of Fibronectin in Tendons and Ligaments.” Matrix - Collagen and Related Research, 9(6):421-27, 1989.
- Harwood FL, Foulk RA, Harper J, Amiel D: “Biochemical Changes in the Periarticular Connective Tissues Following Long Term Immobilization of the Rabbit Knee Joint.” Orthop Trans 15(2):552-53, 1991.
- Foulk RA: “Laparoscopic Management of the Adnexal Mass.” Resident & Staff Physician, September 16-20, 1993.
- Gordon JD, Schifren J, Foulk RA, Taylor RN, Jaffe RB: “Angiogenesis in the Human Female Reproductive Tract.” Obstet Gynecol Surv 50(9):688-97, 1995.
- Foulk RA, Steiger RM: “Operative Management of Ectopic Pregnancy: A Cost Analysis.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 175(1):90-6, 1996.
- Foulk RA, Martin M, Jerkins GL, Laros RK: “Hyperreactio Luteinalis Differentiated from Severe Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome in a Spontaneously Conceived Pregnancy.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 176:1300-04, 1997.
- Foulk RA, Musci TJ, Schriock ED, Taylor RN: “Does Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Have Human Thyrotopic Activity in Vivo?” Gynecol Endocrinol, Vol 11:195-201, 1997.
- AbiEzzi SS, Foulk RA, Harwood FL, Akeson WH, Amiel D: “Decrease in Fibronectin Occurs Coincident with the Increased Expression of Its Integrin Receptors alpha5beta1 in Stress-Deprived Ligaments.” Iowa Orthop J 17:102-109, 1997.
- Foulk RA: “From Fertilization to Implantation.” The Placenta Vol. V (1):61-62, 2001.
- Hoang VM, Foulk RA, Clauser K, Burlingame A, Gibson BW, Fisher SJ: “Functional Proteomics: Examining the Effects of Hypoxia on the Cytotrophoblast Protein Repertoire.” Biochem. 40:4077-4086, 2001.
- Genbacev OD, Prakobphol A, Foulk RA, Krtolica AR, Ilic D, Fisher SJ: “Trophoblast L-Selectin Mediated Adhesion at the Maternal-Fetal Interface.” Science. 299: 405-408, 2003.
- Red-Horse K, Zhou Y, Genbacev O, Prakobphol A, Foulk R, McMaster M, Fisher SJ: “Trophoblast Differentiation During Embryo Implantation and Formation of the Maternal-Fetal Interface.” J. Clin. Invest. 114: 744-754, 2004.
- Foulk RA, Zdravkovic T, Genbacev O, Prakobphol A: "Expression of L-Selectin Ligand MECA-79 as a Predictive Marker of Human Uterine Receptivity." J. Assist. Reprod. & Genetics, July 14, 2007.
- Schoolcraft W, Miller C, Check J, Foulk RA, Kolb B, Wakim A: "Efficacy of a Novel Form of Vaginal Progesterone on Continuing Pregnancy Rates in Women Undergoing IVF with Elevated BMI and Advanced Age". Fertil. & Steril., Vol. 87 (4), S24, April, 2007.
- Doody KJ, Schnell VL, Foulk RA, Miller CE, Kolb BA, Blake EJ, Yankov VI: "Endometrin for Luteal Phase Support in a Randomized, Controlled, Open-label, Prospective In-Vitro Fertilization Trial Using a Combination of Menopur and Bravelle for Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation". Fertil. & Steril., March 27, 2008.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS AT PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS
- Foulk RA, Genbacev O: “Trophoblast Implantation Versus Tumor Invasion." In Cancer and Pregnancy. Ed. Barnea ER, Jauniaux E, Schwartz P, Springer-Verlag London, pp. 267-276, 2001.
- Genbacev O, Prakobphol A, Foulk RA, Fisher SJ: "Implantation is a Sticky Situation." In Biology and Pathology of Trophoblast. Ed. Moffet A, Loke C, McLaren A, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK 2006.
- Foulk RA: "Implantation of the Human Embryo." In Embryo Transfer. Ed. Bin Wu. In Tech Online, March 2012.
- Foulk RA, Amiel D, Harwood FL, Akeson WH: "Quantitative Assessment by Competitive ELISA of Fibronectin in Tendons and Ligaments." Abstract presented at Orthopedic Research Society, Feb., 1989.
- Harwood FL, Foulk RA, Harper J, Amiel D: "Biochemical Changes in the Periarticular Connective Tissues Following Long Term Immobilization of the Rabbit Knee Joint." Abstract presented at Orthopedic Research Society, Mar., 1991.
- Foulk RA, Sansone B: "Neonatal Genital Prolapse." Oral presentation at the 11th Annual Residents Paper Day, University of California, Irvine. Dept of Ob/Gyn, May 15, 1993.
- Foulk RA, Steiger RM: "Operative Management of Ectopic Pregnancy: A Cost Analysis." *Oral presentation at the 12th Annual Residents Paper Day, University of California, Irvine. Dept. of Ob/Gyn, May 14, 1994. *Poster presentation at the 43rd Annual Clinical Meeting of the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology, San Francisco, May 9, 1995.
- Foulk RA, Fisher SJ, Pollioti BM, Genbacev O: "Human Placental Lactogen Production by First Trimester Human Cytotrophoblasts Differentiating Along the Invasive Pathway." Oral presentation at the 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Seattle, October 7, 1995.
- Foulk RA, Clauser KR, Genbacev O, Zhou Y, Smith D, Burlingame AL, Fisher SJ: “Two dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometric identification of placental oxygen-regulated proteins secrete/released in a hypoxia model.” Oral presentation at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Gynecological Investigation, Philadelphia, March 15, 1996.
- Foulk RA: "The ART and Science of Fertility" and "Ethics and Fertility - Are They Compatible?" Oral presentations at the 5th Annual Perinatal Challenges, Washoe Medical Center, Reno, Nevada, October 4, 1996.
- Foulk RA, Pettersen J: Men's Health: HS 478 Course Director, University of Nevada, October 18-19, 1996 & October 10-11, 1997 & October 16-17, 1998.
- Foulk RA, Genbacev O, Smith D, Fisher SJ: "Differential protein synthesis and release in human cytotrophoblast and chorionic villous cultures demonstrated by 2-D gel electrophoresis." Poster presentation at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, San Francisco, October 8, 1998.
- Foulk RA , Schriock K, Knutzen VK: "Movement of Embryos following optimal placement into the uterine cavity." Oral presentation at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, San Francisco, October 8, 1998.
- Foulk RA: “Human Embryos Express L-Selectin After Hatching.” Oral presentation at the 50th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, Rancho Las Palmas, CA April 22, 2002. Received 1st place prize award for best paper.
- Foulk, RA: “International Third Party Reproductive Medicine: Challenges and Controversies.” Oral Presentation at the 2nd Annual Meeting of International Ovum Donation Conference, Valencia, Spain, February 12, 2004.
- Foulk, RA: “Thrombophilias in Prepregnancy and Pregnancy Loss.” Oral Presentation at the 14th Idaho Perinatal Project, Boise, Idaho, February 26, 2005.
- Aisaka K, Ikezuki Y, Uemura H, Takane V, Obata S, Foulk RA: "Effect of Oral Sildenafil Citrate Administration on Endometrial Thickness and IVF-ET Outcomes in Elderly Patients." Poster presentation at the 61st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Montreal, Quebec. October 17, 2005.
- Aisaka K, Itabashi K, Arita K, Kuroda K, Foulk RA: "Novel Method of Ovulation Induction for the Patients of So-Called Poor Responders." Poster presentation at the 62nd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, New Orleans, LA. October 23, 2006.
- Krtolica A, Ilic D, Foulk RA, Caceres E, Simon C, Genbacev O: "Derivation of the First Custom-made Personal Embryonic Stem Cells-A Pilot Study." Oral presentation at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Washington, DC. October 15, 2007.
- Ilic D, Genbacev O, Simon C, Foulk RA, Krtolica A: "Derivation of the Human Embyonic Stem Cell Line from the Two Blastomeres of Non-Viable Embryos." Oral presentation at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Washington, DC. October 15, 2007.
- Ilic D, Simon C, Genbacev O, Caceres E, Foulk, RA, Krtolica A: "Embryos from the same patients yield both normal and aneuploid lines udner identical culture conditions." Poster presentation at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Washington, DC. October 16, 2007.
- Foulk RA, Genbacev O, Prakobphol A: "Expression of L-Selectin Ligand MECA-79 as a Predictive Marker of Human Uterine Receptivity." Oral presentation at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Washington, DC. October 17, 2007.
Leisure: Travel, Computers, Woodworking, Reading, Gadgets
Recreation: Family Time, Water/Snow Skiing, SCUBA, Team Sports